Top 10 Mold Prevention
Mold prevention and mildew prevention in the indoor environment is
a matter of being aware of daily events. Here are some important mold control tips that will help you identify
key areas of concern.
1. Maintain levels of humidity below 60% (preferably between 30% and
2. Bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-producing areas should be vented to the outdoors.
3. Avoid blockage of air conditioning return air vents and supply air diffusers.
4. Use air conditioners and de-humidifiers when needed to draw excess humidity from the indoor
5. Increase ventilation by installing additional crawlspace and attic vents, opening windows
6. Use exhaust fans when cooking and washing dishes.
7. Keep the air conditioning thermostat set to “auto” to prevent circulation of excessive humid
8. Make sure all central HVAC (heating,ventilation, air conditioning) ducting is thoroughly
insulated with no exposed surfaces to attic or crawl spaces.
9. Inspect your home monthly for sources of excessive indoor moisture.
10. Inspect roof or plumbing leak areas immediately once a problem is known. Have the repair
done as quickly as possible to minimize damage and mold buildup from occuring.
Go to Home page from Top 10 Mold Prevention
Copyright © 2008-2014 All Rights Reserved. No part of
this page may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, whether graphic, electronic, or
mechanical, including photocopying, recording, by any information storage retrieval system or any other method
without the written permission of SickHouseDoctor.com